GIRLS’ EDUCATION PROGRAM MANAGER
Room to Read’s is a global non – profit organization. Working in nine countries across Asia and Africa, we believe that World Change Starts with Educated Children.
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
Our Vision in Vietnam
Room to Read Vietnam strives to become a leader in educational development for disadvantaged children. In partnership with local communities, we are committed to child-centered, creative, sustainable programs with high quality followed the Vietnamese lawful standards and regulations.
Room to Read was founded in 2000 and since then has established more than 10,000 libraries, built more than 1,128 schools, published 433 titles of books with 7,4 million of copies and assisted 8,944 girls in their education.
The Program Manager will responsible for overall, day-to-day administrative, financial and programmatic management, monitoring, and reporting of the Girls’ Education Program in close collaboration with ROGO Girls’ Education Program Officers, other Country Program Staff and partner organizations. Specifically, the Program Manager will be responsible for the overall implementation of the Girls’ Education Program activities in accordance to Room to Read’s Strategic Plan for the Program, including activity implementation, monitoring and evaluation, training, coordinating and communicating with local partners, program development and project reporting. The GEP Manager will also lead the team to researching and finding creative ways to address issues of gender disparity and explore further empowerment programs for girls. This position is a senior management position and will oversee Program Officers and Program Associates at the Country Office and Program Field Staff at the Field Office. This position will involve frequent travel to all the provinces Room to Read works in, as well as regular interaction with education officials, partners, school administrators, teachers and students. The Senior Room to Grow Program Manager will report to the Program Director.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
• Be responsible for the overall implementation of the Girls’ Education Program activities
• Be responsible for the overall budget management of and budget reporting on the Girls’ Education Program for CO/GO/RO, donors, and partners
• Be responsible for the development of reports on program activities for CO/RO/GO, donors and local partners
• Be responsible for the development of the term of references, consultancy contracts and their assignment of training, workshops and manual production
• Be responsible for the overall training and other activities for girls and School Mobilizers
• Make regular visits to project sites to supervise the site and organize discussions with the school/partner management team and local authorities.
• Be responsible for the development and implementation of the bidding/procurement plan with Room to Read’s Procurement team to ensure the quality and quantity of books/resources/other materials in accordance with Room to Read’s guidance for the bidding/procurement
• Coordinate with Room to Read’s other current programs especially with the Literacy Program for book distribution and publication and other literacy activities for book distribution, program layering activities
• Coordinate with the Monitoring and Evaluation Team for the monitoring of and supporting to program activities, SMs training and data collection
• Supervise the input of the program data/information to GSD
• Provide leadership and supervision on work performance of the Country/Field Office program teams and maintain a productive working environment for all
• Be responsible for meetings, program events, study tours… of Room to Read Vietnam with governments, CO/RO/GO visitors, donors
• Provide information on overall programs, activities and budget to CO/RO/GO, key partners, other relevant governments and organizations
• Explore opportunities for partnerships and knowledge sharing with NGOs, experts and institutions involved in girls’ education initiatives
• Establish and manage relationships with other NGO’s, government officials and local educational facilities/authorities; schedule and attend meetings with them to ensure the quality implementation of the program
• Represent Room to Read at relevant meetings and occasionally assist in hosting key donor visits
• Provide regular updates on program activities and plans at regular meetings with Girls’ Education Team Meetings
Financial, administrative and human resources management
• Prepare, update and monitor budgets, costed work plans, etc. for the program
• Assist in preparing financial reports
• Update program status and other information about the program
• Review and arrange approval and acquittal of contracts and payments in accordance with Room to Read Vietnam rules and procedures
• Ensure compliance with Room to Read and donor regulation of accounting and asset management
• Facilitate needed capacity building of the administrative and financial capacity of partner organizations
• Supervise program staff and conduct regular staff assessments
• Facilitate and support the work of external consultants and volunteers/ collaborators
• Bachelor’s degree
• A minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience especially in girls’ education
• Prior experience working with schools, teachers, administrators and government officials
• Good knowledge and understanding of gender issues in education
• Strong planning, supervisory, and management skills
• Ability to travel frequently to provinces throughout Vietnam
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
• Demonstrated commitment to development work
• Good working experience with education programs/projects
• Good working experience with local partners, government and other INGOs
• Experience working with youth in a formal or non-formal educational settings
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field
• Prior experience living and/or working in rural areas
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
• Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
• Be an innovative and creative thinker – you are not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
• Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
• Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
• Be both self-confident and humble
• Work well independently as well as part of a team
• Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
The salary range for this position will be determined based upon the experience of the candidate hired. Health benefits are also provided. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through the lifelong gift of education.
Please send your cover letter that addresses how you meet our expectation for the position’s qualification and Curriculum Vitae by email to
Ms. Mai Ngoc Diep at email@example.com by 30 November 2010.
Due to the high volume of applicant response, not all applicants may receive a response from Room to Read.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing
the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.